Glucosamine Capsules Benefits
The go-to nutrient for joint health, glucosamine capsules are the ever popular remedy for knee pain and serves as the insurance policy that many take for protecting joints in advance of, and during the later years.
Particularly useful for sports men and women, gym goers, those who are involved in manual labour, folk in their twilight years and osteoarthritis sufferers, glucosamine is a key structural unit from which the body synthesises articular cartilage at the knees and hips. Even pet owners can’t get enough of this supplement for the 4 legged members of the family!
Whilst some doubt the efficacy of proteoglycans like glucosamine for joint support, it must be noted that the studies that show little or no benefit tend to be composed over short time frames of 3 months or less. The truth is that joint tissue is poorly perfused with blood and as such, glucosamine supplementation takes time to deposit effectively where it matters. In keeping with clinical research, we’d suggest taking glucosamine for 6 months to fully benefit from the supplement.
Glucosamine capsules can be supplied in a myriad of packaging solutions to meet your branded needs.
Useful Facts About Glucosamine Capsules
- 1500mg glucosamine sulphate is thought to offer maximum benefit to the customer for joint health – typically provided over 2 or 3 tablets/capsules daily
- Glucosamine Sulphate is usually sourced from shellfish, if you need vegan suitable variety without allergen, why not try Glucosamine HCL which can be sourced from corn
- Glucosamine HCL tends to be more soluble and thereby easier to digest than it’s sulphate couterpart
- Glucosamine is actually a fantastic ingredient to support gut health, it’s not just for joints!
Long-Term Effects of Glucosamine Supplementation Retards Progression of Arthritis
Pavelka et al. 2002. Glucosamine Sulphate Use and Delay of Progression of Knee Osteoarthritis. Arch intern Med. 2002; 162:2113-2123.
Manufacturing glucosamine capsules
Glucosamine capsules and tablets tend to be far and away most popular, with a small demand for flavoured powder blends in stick packs.
There are many ingredients which make for an ideal partner to glucosamine, thus supporting joint health from multiple angles.
- Chondroitin – Helps to draw moisture aiding the buffering/shock absorbance capacity of cartilage
- MSM – A key donor of sulphur in supplements, a mineral which is required structural for many forms of connective tissue
- Rosehip and Vitamin C – Powerful antioxidants, rosehip is a natural source of vitamin C which is cofactor for collagen synthesis
- Vitamin D – Essential vitamin for calcium absorption and therefore strong bones, vitamin D actively contributes to reducing inflammation in the body
- Turmeric, Ginger and Omega 3 – Highly researched, these ingredients are chiefly known for their ability to mediate inflammatory prostaglandin activity; a key driver of arthritis
- Boswellia Serrata – Found to be one of the best ingredients to reduce pain, known for the ability to reduce LOX-5 enzyme
Ingredients benefit joints in many ways
EFSA Claims worth having for Joint Supplements
- Vitamin C contributes to normal collagen formation and the normal function of bones, teeth, cartilage, bones, skin and blood vessels
- Vitamin D contributes to the normal healthy inflammatory response
- Vitamin D contributes to the maintenance of normal bone and teeth
The claims that are authorised by EFSA (European Food Standards Authority) are rigorously scrutinised by a panel of industry experts. Many effective ingredients like Glucosamine do not have authorised claims owing to funding support or simply because there is too much weak data in the market.
In addition to the above, there are many claims that are on hold and awaiting review by EFSA. These claims are often used with supporting scientific data until the panel make a decision on the claim.
The market for glucosamine
People are living longer and with that, a solution to joint pain and arthritis is being more commonly sought after, particularly in the western world.
The glucosamine market is expected to go from strength to strength for a variety of reasons which include growing demand for vegan based products in addition to the growing prevalence of food allergies which include shellfish.
Joint supplementation has been an established market for many years, the modern consumer is looking to take a reliable supplement that genuinely works.
Brand loyalty is a crucial factor when launching a glucosamine supplement, this means a quality product development will help to build a stronger customer base across your entire brand.
Manufacturing Glucosamine supplements
Available dosage formats:
- Loose powder
At Supplement Factory we manufacture over 50M glucosamine capsules per year. Our buying power and experience in making this product is among the best available. This means that we are extremely competitive when it comes to making joint supplements.
Sometimes the most simple formulas work the best in manufacture and indeed in marketing. Keeping a joint formulation tight and a clean label is becoming more fashionable.