History of the Ingredient
Tracing its prestigious lineage back to the serene tea gardens of Assam and Sri Lanka, Orange Pekoe Tea is not merely a drink but a cultural tapestry woven through time.
The term ‘Orange Pekoe’ classifies the leaves’ quality rather than the flavour, denoting a particular size and condition of tea leaf. The British passion for tea in the 17th century bolstered its prominence, and it wasn’t long before Orange Pekoe became a staple in high society.
The origin of “Orange” in its name is speculated to be homage to the Dutch House of Orange-Nassau, symbolising the Dutch role in bringing tea to Europe. The “Pekoe”, derived from the Chinese word ‘pek-ho’, pertains to the silver fuzz on the tea buds, indicating sublime quality. Throughout its history, the extract of this revered leaf has become a sought-after commodity for its delicate taste and potential health benefits.
Orange Pekoe Tea Extract is a rich tapestry of bioactive compounds. Among its constituents, polyphenols stand out, known for their antioxidant properties. Specifically, catechins like epigallocatechin gallate (EGCG) dominate its profile, a compound extensively studied for its health implications.
Alongside these, it contains flavonoids, theanine, and a modest amount of caffeine, which synergise, contributing to its proposed health benefits and stimulating effects.
Benefits of the Ingredient
Orange Pekoe Tea Extract is lauded for its array of health benefits. Here are some highlights:
- Antioxidant Powerhouse: The polyphenols, especially catechins, combat oxidative stress, which has been linked to chronic conditions.
- Cardiovascular Health: Regular consumption has been associated with improved heart health, potentially reducing the risk of cardiovascular diseases.
- Weight Management: The extract may enhance metabolic rates, which can contribute to weight management goals when combined with a healthy diet and exercise.
- Mental Alertness: With caffeine and theanine working in tandem, a dose of this extract offers a gentle uplift in mental clarity and focus.
Forms of Consumption
Orange Pekoe Tea Extract is versatile in application, making it suitable for various supplement forms:
- Capsules: An efficient, controlled dose for daily intake.
- Powder: For blend-in convenience in shakes and smoothies.
- Liquid Extracts: Quick assimilation and easy to add to beverages.
- Tea Bags: Traditional and comforting, delivering the extract in its most authentic form.
Each modality offers a distinct avenue for consumers to integrate Orange Pekoe Tea Extract into their regimen, tailored to personal preferences and lifestyle choices.
Safety + Dosages
As with all supplements, appropriate dosing of Orange Pekoe Tea Extract is vital. It is generally safe when consumed in moderation. The recommended dosage varies, but most studies suggest that up to 300-400 mg of flavonoids daily is a good benchmark.
Pregnant or breastfeeding women, individuals with heart conditions, or those sensitive to caffeine should consult healthcare professionals before consumption.
Use and Legality in UK, EU, US, and Globally
The legality and use of Orange Pekoe Tea Extract are widespread, reflecting its global heritage. In the UK and the EU, it is regulated under novel food regulations and EFSA guidelines.
In the US, the FDA oversees it as a dietary supplement, ensuring its safety and efficacy. Across the globe, its use is subject to the regulatory frameworks of individual countries, with generally broad acceptance.
Should you wish to discover how Orange Pekoe Tea Extract can be integrated into your supplement line, or to explore the myriad of other ingredients and delivery methods available, do not hesitate to contact us.