DRcaps® capsules help protect nutritional supplement ingredients that are sensitive to stomach acid. The innovative DRcaps® capsule targets release after an extended time period, protecting ingredients from degradation in the stomach.
DRcaps® capsules are made with an innovative Hypromellose (HPMC) formulation that can help protect sensitive ingredients from the low pH environment of the stomach – without the cost and complexity of adding acid-resistant properties during manufacturing. The low moisture level of DRcaps® can also be exploited to accommodate hydroscopic ingredients.
DRcaps® Key Features
- Acid resistance protects nutritional ingredients without the need for film coatings
- Plant based vegetarian capsule designed to release when you need it
- Enhanced stability for moisture sensitive and hydroscopic ingredients
- Taste and odour masking of herbal or mineral ingredients which can increase digestive discomfort
Delivering acid-sensitive supplement products can be a challenge for health and nutrition companies. Protecting ingredients from stomach acids to maintain potency is crucial – but it can require complex enteric coating formulations and manufacturing techniques, expensive packaging, and use of solvents many dietary supplement consumers find unacceptable.
DRcaps® capsules disintegration performance in human subjects.
The study was designed to investigate the in vivo behaviour of unbranded DRcaps® capsules using qualitative and quantitative scintigraphic methods to assess the GI transit of DRcaps® capsules and the release of capsule contents based on the scintigraphic images obtained.
Each subject consumed a light breakfast approximately 30 minutes prior to dosing a DRcaps® capsule containing 300mg of lactose, 10mg of which was radiolabelled. Anterior and posterior images were taken after dosing and then every 5 minutes up to four hours post-dose.
Key Study Results
- DRcaps® capsules displayed delayed release properties
- Disintegration started approximately 45 minutes later than a typical immediate release capsule of about 5 minutes
- For the majority of subjects, complete release took place in the intestine
- Complete release occurred 20 minutes after the onset of release
- DRcaps® capsules significantly reduced opportunity for nutritional ingredient degradation compared with standard immediate release capsules
- Reduce the manufacturing cost and complexity of adding acid-resistant properties to oral dosage forms
- No need to add chemicals, solvents or other coated protection, allowing for a shorter product development cycle than tablets
- Low moisture capsules help protect ingredients that are sensitive to moisture and acid
- Masks taste and odour and minimizes risk for reflux in a consumer-preferred dosage form
- Certified Vegan, Non-GMO, Vegetarian Society, Halal and Kosher certifications
- Outstanding quality – manufactured in accordance with GMP guidelines
- Certified quality assurance system for traceability of raw materials