BRC Global Standards is a leading brand and consumer protection organisation, used by over 26,000 certificated suppliers in over 130 countries, with their certification issued through a global network of accredited certification bodies. BRC Global Standards are now often a fundamental requirement of leading retailers, manufacturers and food service organisations.
At Supplement Factory we are committed to the highest standards. Our business is run according to the quality standards set by the strict codes of our accredited regulators, The British Retail Consortium (BRC Global Standards).
For the last 3 years, our quality team have successfully achieved the highest standards are currently maintaining a AA grade status.
The overall scope of a BRC Global Standards audit to achieve an authorised certification is unique to the facilities that a BRC notified body is auditing. The core facets that the BRC Food Safety Standard (Version 7) covers are:
- Senior Management Commitment – Consistent food safety is the responsibility of everyone within the company; however, the starting point for an effective food safety plan is the commitment of senior management to the implementation of the BRC Global Standard and continual development. This includes providing adequate resources, effective communication, system reviews, actions taken and opportunities for improvement.
- Company Food Safety Plan (HACCP) – The BRC Global Standard requires the development of an effective hazard analysis and critical control point programme based on the requirements of the internationally recognised Codex Alimentarius system.
- Food Safety & Quality Management Systems – This section sets out the requirements for the management of food safety and quality. This includes requirements for product specifications, supplier approval, traceability and the management of incidents and product recalls.
- Overall Site Standards – This section sets out expectations for the production environment including the layout and maintenance of the buildings and equipment, cleaning, pest control waste management and foreign body controls.
- Product Controls – The requirements for product design and development stage including allergen management, product and ingredient provenance, product packaging and product inspection and testing.
- Process Controls – The establishment and maintenance of safe process controls, weight/volume control and equipment calibration and ensures the documented HACCP plan is put into place.
- Personnel Adherence – This section sets out the standards needed for staff training, protective clothing and personal hygiene.
The BRC Global Standard for Food Safety is developed by food industry experts from retailers, manufacturers and food service organisations to ensure it is rigorous and detailed.
First published in 1998, the Standard is now in the seventh issue and is very well established globally. It has evolved with input from many leading global specifiers. It provides a framework to manage product safety, integrity, legality and quality and the operational controls for these criteria in the food and food ingredient manufacturing, processing and packing industry.
Supplement Factory is proud to be BRC Accredited as well as holding a number of other accreditations. We welcome you to view our others here.