DRcaps® capsules help protect nutritional supplement ingredients that are sensitive to stomach acid. The innovative DRcaps® capsule targets release after an extended time period, protecting ingredients from degradation in the stomach.
DRcaps® capsules are made with an innovative Hypromellose (HPMC) formulation that can help protect sensitive ingredients from the low pH environment of the stomach – without the cost and complexity of adding acid-resistant properties during manufacturing. The low moisture level of DRcaps® can also be exploited to accommodate hydroscopic ingredients.
DRcaps® Key Features
- Acid resistance protects nutritional ingredients without the need for film coatings
- Plant based vegetarian capsule designed to release when you need it
- Enhanced stability for moisture sensitive and hydroscopic ingredients
- Taste and odour masking of herbal or mineral ingredients which can increase digestive discomfort
Delivering acid-sensitive supplement products can be a challenge for health and nutrition companies. Protecting ingredients from stomach acids to maintain potency is crucial – but it can require complex enteric coating formulations and manufacturing techniques, expensive packaging, and use of solvents many dietary supplement consumers find unacceptable.
DRcaps® capsules disintegration performance in human subjects.
The study was designed to investigate the in vivo behaviour of unbranded DRcaps® capsules using qualitative and quantitative scintigraphic methods to assess the GI transit of DRcaps® capsules and the release of capsule contents based on the scintigraphic images obtained.
Each subject consumed a light breakfast approximately 30 minutes prior to dosing a DRcaps® capsule containing 300mg of lactose, 10mg of which was radiolabelled. Anterior and posterior images were taken after dosing and then every 5 minutes up to four hours post-dose.
Key Study Results
- DRcaps® capsules displayed delayed release properties
- Disintegration started approximately 45 minutes later than a typical immediate release capsule of about 5 minutes
- For the majority of subjects, complete release took place in the intestine
- Complete release occurred 20 minutes after the onset of release
- DRcaps® capsules significantly reduced opportunity for nutritional ingredient degradation compared with standard immediate release capsules
- Reduce the manufacturing cost and complexity of adding acid-resistant properties to oral dosage forms
- No need to add chemicals, solvents or other coated protection, allowing for a shorter product development cycle than tablets
- Low moisture capsules help protect ingredients that are sensitive to moisture and acid
- Masks taste and odour and minimizes risk for reflux in a consumer-preferred dosage form
- Certified Vegan, Non-GMO, Vegetarian Society, Halal and Kosher certifications
- Outstanding quality – manufactured in accordance with GMP guidelines
- Certified quality assurance system for traceability of raw materials
Find Out More
Whether your brand or company is looking at taking an organic, natural or holistic route to market, we have the expertise to guide your green ambitions. Our experienced relationship managers will support your brand values and aspirational ideas to help you craft a finished product that fits your ethical standards and yields a return that meets your budget demands.